Friday 8 January 2016

Richard's Wear 8jan2016friday A RECENT DESIGN

This is a recent design unlike most I have posted thus far.  This design was done 2 years ago, after blending a few dozen Napoleonic era waist-coat images google search turned up.   The vest like middle of the jacket is NOT a true vest but attachments under the lapels.  They are remove-able in summer, leaving long lapels, each of a different obi pattern, that do NOT meet in the middle--staying open for global warming futures.

This was a design entirely new to me and I never use GOOD obis and GOOD kimonos when first doing a design.  Hence the stupid designs on otherwise great deep rich purple kimono material.  Future versions will use better kimonos without such fluff.   
Nevertheless, this design--over-busy as it is--is an effect I wanted to wear and thereby test.  Again, reactions surprised me---Tokyo-ites came up to me all day today to examine, praise, ask about this mess.

In my station train station where 2000 to 4000 people an hour shuffle thru, 45 seconds walk from my condo, all day long--I noticed as all those thousands noticed, the bright deep rich purple and shocking da-glo chartreuse shirt combo of this outfit.  All others of those thousands in the station were various degrees of gray and black---as that sort of coloring allows the worlds poorest people to make the world's cheapest materials enabling the world's most venal designers to make profits from turning out gray black dark depressing shitty looking junk = what everyone in the world other than me wears everyday.  
 It is not  that I am as arrogant as I appear (I am MORE arrogant than I appear).  Rather it is that decades ago i found it FUN to try designs out and see reactions myself and soon bounded above and beyond mass producers and couture houses.  MOST of my experiments are horrid---things others flee from and that I myself shrink spiritually to fill.   

The back of this jacket, has a central column ending in an asymmetric stained glass section of several patches from unrelated obis.  

I was adding the stained glass section to these jackets NOT for this design but to test out the stained glass effect visually myself.   

I will be making a suit set in 2016 that is nearly ALL stained glass obi sections at odd shapes and colors and angles.  The eye LIKES true randomness in any dimension.  

16 Jan my producer in Vietnam sends me 7 new suit designs (9 suits)--all made with inferior kimonos and obis as the designs, all 7 of them, are entirely new to this world.   I cannot wait to see which of them works well even with inferior materials---such designs I will quickly make out of far better obis and kimonos I have been collecting throughout 2014 and 2015.  

I wear these particular suit designs (I have 9 of them) to ACCJ, American Chamber of Commerce Meetings in Tokyo.   They fit well there  as the LIVES of American businessmen in Asia are enormously more interesting than of Americans in America.    So my outfits merely interest or attract people, with only Americans visiting Japan briefly from American being discomfitted and hurling abuse (outre designs make them uncomfortable being alive).   Little men cannot stand differences---differences terrify little men.   


No comments:

Post a Comment