Monday 8 December 2014

9dec14tue Richard's Wear

This is, I believe, my second oldest suit, made circa 1977.   Again, I was simply keeping entirely boring traditional shapes, and just switching from the world's cheapest ugliest materials (Gucci, Gap, Calvin Klein, etc.) to more comfortable, more lasting, more visual, more lovely materials.   The result---well--nice try but no banana.   I cannot now stand the stupid symmetry--left = right  YUK.   I DO find the stretch shining gold material that the obi patches are upon, very comfortable to walk, sit, move, play sports in.   The obi patches are not obi here, they are uchikake, a painted kind of uchikake, that develops cracks in 6 wears, and flakes off in 14 wears--so I rarely wear this stuff.
 The back reminds me of les Tuilleries--Louis 14th's sick adolescent version of "gorgeous"---more and more spangles.   I LIKE it because it sickens me quickly and purely.  Particularly the damn gardens revolt me----always the right a copy of the left, the up a copy of the down--YUK.   Total lack of design imagination for centuries.   Well if you are rich enough and kill off naysayers, bad taste can cover grandiose amounts of the world making you look for all of history a fool without anyone warning you--Louis, you are making a fool of France and yourself.   
The red hat I love because so many business people are made uncomfortable by it (but not, it seems, in Japan, where US expatriates have more global exposure).   And, of course, in China, it is popular and goes with nearly every restaurant, temple, and tourist sight.   

The necktie is the same as yesterday--hated by the entire Chicago Bulls Basketball team of the Michael Jordan era--to be explain in a later post.   

Altogether an immature impression--someone wanting to design but utterly at this point, 1977, incapable of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment