Sunday 4 January 2015

Richard's Wear 4Jan15Sun

 This suit if from my CLOWN period.   I was driven mostly by a desire to be anti-Calvin and anti-employee and pro "man" in the word "business"man.   Put the man back into businessman, so to speak.   

I wanted my clothes to do work for me--saving my mouth work---by telling the grey suited hordes of salary"men" that, indirectly, no one needed a 10,005th new shampoo and a 14,215th kind of cookie. 

The result is a clown-like effect that, if I now want to clown around, is perfect, but that otherwise I have no use for.  I wear this genre of suit around home, at the local hotel and shopping places, my cafes, because it is super comfortable and still makes a statement tho the wrong one.   
 Here is the front of the suit---notice how the nectie does not really match---actually it is a perfect blend of the orange of the giant clown-like obi patches and the stretch swimsuit purple-blue material underneath. 

Hard to see in the photo at left is the orange shirt, made of SOFA material from the furniture down the street from our Chicago Regent's Park condo, where we had the ONLY 4 bedroom condo while teaching at U Chicago.   
 The nice thing about having 600+ suits, all custom made, like mine, is one can always escalate--if something is not outrageous enough, bright enough, clown-like enough, I can go back to my various closets and find a combination more X, whatever the X be.  

Here at right is my usual orange winter jacket with all this orange and purple suit stuff stuffed inside it.   Notice this jacket does not make me any MORE clown-like, rather it makes me LESS clown-like.  If you do something outrageous even more outrageously, sometimes it cancels itself!!!
This shirt is made of soft thick (warm) sofa material and has a sheen to it that I love.  The trouble with the color orange is, well, it is too orange.   You cannot say that about any purple--it is not possible for a purple to be too purple, but it is a quality of all oranges that they also are always too orange.  I do not know why.

In this clown-like era of my designing, I heightened contrast of color in every combination.  The result was, like this suit, generally ugly.   I did not get disabused from this pathway till two or three years after I started down it---I do not know why, for a while I LIKED outrageous.   

TRUE walk into a Chamber of Commerce meeting filled with grey suited hordes talking indirectly about how great they are, and this suit makes the RIGHT statement---it says---screw you, grey suited empoyee!!1

No comments:

Post a Comment